Saturday 18 May 2013

The Facebook message that rocked my world.


I graduated college on Thursday from Temple University in Philadelphia with a degree in Social Work. It was an exciting time. To finally be done school and to begin this next chapter. The BIG MOVE to Uganda on June 10th. While graduation was great, a Facebook message I received today actually ended up being more gratifying than any diploma ever could be. This message meant that what we are saying and how we are saying it is actually effective. While I am proud to have received my degree, I am humbled that God has used a mess like me to be part of something so big in a culture that is not my own. It's mind blowing, honestly, that anything I could say or write would play a role in changing the care vulnerable children and families in Uganda receive across the board. That's the coolest. And I know this is only the beginning, which makes it that much cooler.

I have blocked out the woman's identity and the name of her children's home. Not because she fears people knowing the direction her organization is headed, but because she shared with me sweet words in a private message. Words I asked if I could share with you all, but words that are hers, a shift she should get to decide when and how to share with her supporters.



I don't really know that this message warrants any further explanation beyond, HOW NEAT IS THAT? How encouraging is it to receive a message from someone who runs an orphanage who desires to change the way they  do things because they believe in doing what is BEST for each  child in their care. 

This is what it is about. Having conversations in love and with grace. Being patient with one another.  Not so we can prove we are "right" or that we've developed the "best" model, but because we believe in change bigger than any of our organizations. We recognize the need we have for each other in building partnerships and working together.  

We believe in raising the bar in services provided to vulnerable children and families in Uganda.  If I have learned one thing it is that to do this we can not alienate those who maybe don't see eye to eye. When we do that, we lose our shot at helping encourage them in a different direction. 

We are in this together. Let's act like it.

-Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. YES I AGREE WITH YOU AND THIS I BELIEVE IS A BETTER
    WAY I THINK WHEN YOU TAKE A CHILD AWAY ITS A HARD THING FOR SOME AND DEPENDING ON WHAT AGE.IF I WAS BEING TOTALLY TRUTHFUL I THINK SOME AMERICANS FEEL AS IF THEY WON A PRIZE
    IF KIDS CAN FIND SUPPORT WITH FAMILY WHO WILL LOVE THEM INSINCERITY THEY IT IS A GOOD THING AND THIS IS WHERE REAL PROCESS CAN DEVELOPE TAKING INTO ACOUNT THAT NO CHILD PLACED WITH ANOTHER FAMILY DOES THE SAME ABUSE AND IS WELL CHECKED OUT A.J FOR PENNY TUPPENCE CHARITY ON FACE BOOK KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND MAY YOU BE BLESSED IN ALL YOU DO ADD ME IF YOU LIKE

    ReplyDelete